Thursday, April 28, 2005

a cry for help

I've got a serious problem. It's been coming on for months now, and getting worse all the time. I thought maybe I could handle it on my own. I did what I could to prevent it from getting worse, but there's only so much I can do myself. I really think it's time I seek out professional help.

Click "tell me more" to continue...


I desperately need a haircut.

A part of me genuinely wanted to let it grow. I can't remember the last time I let my hair grow out, but I'm starting to remember why I haven't done it in so long. It looks like absolute shit.

Nine months ago, my hair possibly looked the best it ever did. Cut just below my jaw line, layered a little in the back for fullness, wavy curls framing my face. Maybe I'd put a little something in my hair to encourage the curl, or help keep it from frizzing up in the humid weather, but mostly, it was good hair.

Now, the curl is falling out, and my hair is permanently frizzy. Nothing I do helps, and the more crap I put in my hair to help solve these problems, the worse it looks. I am fed up, and I want my nice hair back.

Only now, I'm faced with a new problem. What the heck am I supposed to tell a hairdresser? I can barely say I want it cut, never mind the actual details. Also? There are easily 10 hairdressers within a five mile walk of my apartment. How on earth can I pick one?

So, I'm asking for *gulp* help. (Admitting I have a problem is the first step, right?)

First of all, how do I pick a hairdresser? What should I be looking for to avoid the one (you know there's always one) who will hack up my hair? Also, what should I ask? How do I say "layered, but not great big chunks please"? Is it appropriate to bring a photo from nine months ago? How about if it's my wedding pictures (they're not professional, and I did my hair myself)?

I know this will sound incredibly frivolous to some of you, but dammit, I'm sick of cringing when I look in the mirror. I've got to face the music and the cutting shears, but I don't mind telling you, I'm scared to death. Help!

Update: I just thought of something else. What kind of prices should I be expecting? What is considered reasonable and what is outrageous? If someone is offering a lower price should I run away in fear? I get the feeling it's more than going to good ole SuperCuts back home (yes I did and my hair looked great, thank you) and it may be why Steph keeps telling me my hair looks fine and keeps threatening to cut it himself with his beard trimmer!

No comments: