Thursday, August 31, 2006

my new project

Gosh, that's a cute little book, isn't it? I have to admit that I'm rather partial to it, since I MADE IT! *cheesy grin*

So this is the new crafty project I alluded to in my last post. I kind of stumbled into a craft forum the other day about making journals, and suddenly I was inundated with all kinds of ideas about designs, so much so that I could hardly sleep that night! Ever since, I've been gathering materials and cutting and pasting and stitching.

Although it may look impressive in the photograph, the fact is that my first attempt is pretty crap. The book is way too loose and I had a helluva time stitching on the back cover. I really hope that with practice this is going to get easier. Also, I just used regular computer paper, so the signatures (that's bookbinding speak for each section of paper inside) are really thin and hard to stitch. I also want to learn how to do little eyelets for the covers, because I nearly pulled the thread through one of the holes on the back cover.

I'm really hoping that the old saying "Practice makes perfect" holds true for me, as I'm going to try to make another one (albeit a little smaller this time, as I'm really just concentrating on the binding part right now) over the next couple of days. Next project is to learn how to make my own paper to put inside my books! Meanwhile, you can click on the photo to go see the other pictures of the book in my flickr feed. Any helpful hints are very much most welcome!

No comments: