Monday, August 21, 2006

preparing for re-entry

The new computer is packed into a suitcase, my grandmother's crystal is wrapped and packed into a carry on, and all that remains are the clothes we'll wear tomorrow and the toiletries on the bathroom counter. Dad has been tucked in, Steph is watching The Dirty Dozen, and here I am, wondering how three weeks could have passed so quickly.

We had a great time last night, with friends and cousins packed into the hot and steamy back porch (hi Lisa!), munching on Steph's shish kabobs and the best damn homemade hamburgers ever, and I couldn't help but take a pause and give thanks for my amazing family. As much as I'd like to stay here, I know Dad's going to be in good hands. I don't know how I'm going to get through the next three months until I can come back again; I can only hope they fly by as quicky as these three weeks have.

In any case, I'll have plenty to keep me busy. Steph and I have worked out a new plan for improving my French, and I've been inspired to try to learn a new skill to continue my quest in working from home, which will truly be an asset in the near future as I attempt to spend as much time with Dad as possible. We should be home sometime Tuesday, after a flight to Philly, a flight to Paris, a train to Troyes and a car ride to our village. If we don't fall directly into a travel coma I'll update as soon as I can. See you all on the other side!

No comments: