Wednesday, September 06, 2006

can't shut up about my uterus

If you don't want to read about gory stuff, please indulge in your geeky side and check this out.

So, this is my second month on a drug called Duphaston, which is a synthetic hormone, which is supposed to help dissolve my freakishly large ovarian cysts, and if they don't I'll have to have surgery and stay a couple of days in the hospital to have them removed.

Okay, everyone caught up? Cool.

So, I didn't mention it at the time, but the first month went with no problems at all. When the end of my second cycle came, my period was acting all funny, and I dared to hope I might be carrying a passenger (which is the real reason we started all these doctor's visits and sonograms, etc.). That hope was dashed to the ground last night when (how can I say this delicately?) um... the dam broke and um..... things you don't often find is these particular floodwaters were swept out to sea (how's that for taking a metaphor way too far?). Happily the water receded (geez, make me stop!) and the terrible cramps stopped (I can only keep it up for so long!) long enough to get some sleep.

The excellent news is that I already had a doctor's appointment scheduled for this morning. I was relieved to learn that it wasn't a miscarriage, but it does seem that the dosage of Duphaston is too high, so he's decreasing it by half for my next three cycles. Since the dosage is changing, I'll have to push back my sonogram, which I was meant to do in September, until the end of October or the beginning of November.

The interesting thing is that the new dosage is the one usually given to women who are trying to conceive. The kind of crappy thing is by pushing back the next sonogram, the possibility of surgery gets pushed to later in the year, and I was hoping to have it done before I go back to spend a month with Dad at the end of November. Well, there's no sense stressing about it, it only makes everything worse (like I don't have enough to stress about!), and the fact that the pain in my tummy has significantly decreased since I started taking this medicine gives me hope that surgery won't be necessary at all.

So, there's my uterus update. Aren't you glad you (didn't) ask?

No comments: