Sunday, August 30, 2009

vacation, had to get away...

Man, stuff is happening and I'm not taking the time to keep this caught up. Next thing you know, I'll be so backed up that it won't be worth updating, and I'm not ready to give up on this blog thing quite yet.

So YES, three weeks back in the States. I can say that for the first time, I experienced culture shock going back. Now there was an odd sensation! I think the worst was trying to find equivelent milk and food for Fry. I've been spoiled by UHT milk (which exists for baby milk as well) and baby food that actually tastes like what the label says. But, after a couple of days of adjustment and jet lag, Fry was raring to go.

We stayed with my grandmother, and let me tell you, watching Fry and Grandma fall in love with each other is something I'll hold dear to my heart for the rest of my life. She spoiled him rotten and he loved every minute of it! There were quite a few family gatherings while we were there, but the coolest thing was to see Fry and four of his third cousins - all boys! - gathered for pictures. We don't even have five boys in my generation, and here's five sitting all together with one more in Florida, one in Tennessee (I think?) and one more due to be born any minute now!

We spent a fun weekend in Greenville, SC, my old stomping grounds, where one of my BFFs threw us a fabulous party that turned into a college reunion (even my college advisor came!). People came from far and wide and it was amazing to see such good friends from *muffle muffle* years ago. Then we drove up to Asheville which, unfortunately, was kind of a bust, as Stéph had come down with some kind of migraine stomach thing and our hosts' granddaughter decided to come into the world at the other end of the state, so we didn't get to visit with them very much. There are quite a few people I wanted to hook up while we were in the mountains and it just didn't happen this trip (I do believe you know who you are and I'm awfully sorry!). That will be a high priority for the next trip!

After that it was just some more hanging out and chilling with family. A dear friend that I hadn't seen since high school came through town, and that was a short but very sweet visit, and we managed to get Fry out to the park to see some of the animals and have a nice walk around the lake, but other than that we just tried to beat the heat and relax.

And that, my friends, is what we did on our summer vacation!

3 comments:

Jadie said...

do keep blogging! for your readers, it's a vision of life that inspires...

Nicole said...

Its weird what you say about baby food. At my small town grocery store in the state, I have my choice of three brands of organic baby foods with nothing but veggie and water as ingredients and here in France, everything at my expensive, well-stocked monoprix includes amidon and cream! I can sometimes get the Bio fruit but the only baby food I miss when in the states was the baby veggie soups with no salt which my daugher LOVED. What brand of baby food do you buy here?

Vivi said...

Nicole, we have been really happy with the Blédina brand, with the exception of the fruit jars (they seem very bitter to me and Fry never liked them, he gets pomme potes instead). Since he only has two jars a day and I don't buy the expensive ones, we find the price to be reasonable (where I thought that the baby food in the States was the same price for less food!).