Thursday, February 17, 2005

happy dance!

I received a letter last week from the Association pour l'Aide aux Aines et Travailleurs Migrants, or AATM for short. They assist immigrants by being sure they have the paperwork they need and pointing them in the right direction if they have problems, etc. They invited me to call to make an appointment "so I could learn my rights," so I did. Their office is just down the street, though we'd never noticed it before, so we walked down this morning.

Since I already have my titre de sejour, there wasn't much info I didn't already know, but they asked if they could start a file on me anyway, and we agreed. It was just basic stuff - where we live, is it ok, what do I want to do, etc.

In the course of the conversation, I said that while I would like to teach English, I know that when my French is better I can look for more kinds of work like I did before I moved here. I was an administration manager, and I like to think I was pretty good at it. I'm one of those dorks who tries to streamline office procedures, and a few things I came up with are still in use in that office today. Also, I was the problem solver - if the customer had an issue with a sale from last year, I was your go-to gal. There's a certain satisfaction in that.

Whoa, tangent! Back to our story...

So, in the middle of this conversation, Mr. T told us that there is a woman who works in the association that teaches French twice a week for free. Would I be interested?

Are you freaking kidding me?

So! Happy Dance! I've got free French classes that start next Tuesday!

No comments: