Wednesday, June 22, 2005

cookie monster

After two weeks of staring at the ceiling (or, to be fair, staring at the computer monitor), I was finally ready to get on with it. I called my French professor on Monday, only to learn that the last class of the year was Tuesday, and everyone was bringing a small desert from their home country. I felt like this was the perfect opportunity to try to make some chocolate chip cookies with the chocolate chips Squishy brought me in December.

After a small panic yesterday over ingredients and measurements and a quick run to the grocery (which was still packed to the back of the store, it was crazy), I got on with it. The batter came out fine (but good lord, I have GOT to buy a mixer!) and after a few funky batches (too big, too burnt) I got into a rhythm. It was freakin hot, having the oven going for an hour and a half in this heat, but I finished up just in time to walk to class.

Happily, everyone enjoyed them (or said they did anyway) and a couple of people ate two or three, which to me screams success. Now I just have to do it all over again on Friday for Saturday's picnic.

The funny thing is, I never did a lot of cooking in the states, but now, in order to get a taste of the foods I miss, I find myself experimenting more in the kitchen and doing a lot more baking. I always just ran to the store to pick up cookies or a pie if I needed one. Plus, you can't beat the satisfaction of having cooked something yourself and being complimented for it. The strangest thing of all is that I'm finding that I'm not so bad at it, too!

No comments: