Wednesday, August 10, 2005

meme-o-rama

As I mentioned in my last post, I was recently tagged for another meme, which was extremely timely as there really isn't much going on right now apart from MMORPG marathons. Well, that's not exactly true; there is something interesting simmering in the background, but I'm holding off on blogging about it until more info comes to light.

Anyway, I was tagged by Kristin, who writes the wonderful French Word-A-Day.

"Name five foods, dishes or otherwise, that were a part of your childhood, and that you sometimes miss when nostalgia gets to you..."

1. The number one memory that stands out is my father's popcorn. Except for the brief moment where he was lead astray by the call of the air-popper, he has always made it the same way, in the same pot: on the stove with butter-flavored oil and lightly sprinkled with salt. I have spent many an evening watching tv scooping bowlfulls of his wonderful popcorn down my throat. I have tried, but have never been able to duplicate it.

2. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches. My god, I haven't eaten one of these in years. Hm, and I do have peanut butter hanging out in the pantry...

3. Carvel ice cream cakes. The absolute must-have at any birthday celebration. I was shocked when I went away to college, and nobody knew what Carvel was. Seems it's grown a bit since my childhood, at least covering the East Coast.

4. Dixie Crossroads restaurant, Titusville, Florida. Best known for their rock shrimp, this seafood restaurant somehow managed to become the most famous seafood restaurant in Central Florida. By the time I was a teenager, you were looking at up to an hour's wait with a reservation, two to three hours without one. Damn shame I hadn't discovered for myself the wonders of seafood before I moved away. Now I have an excuse to go back. Since this meme is about food and not restaurants, I will say that they have the best hush puppies I've ever eaten in my life.

5. Italian food! Spaghetti, lasagne, manicotti, baked ziti..... I could go on and on. Mom and Dad always made their own sauce - Ragu and all other pretenders were forbidden in our house! Making Sauce was an all day affair and filled the house with the promise of a delicious meal that night, as we tortured ourselves by eating as little as possible all day so we could reward ourselves with piles of pasta. Nobody can light a candle to the sauce my parents spent 35 years perfecting.

I confess that I am meant to tag four other people and ask them to fill this one out, but as it's summer and there seems to be a little less blogging going on these days (hope everyone's enjoying their vacations!) I'll leave it up to you. If you like it, please feel free to grab it and let me know if you use it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I feel another MMORPG marathon coming on....

No comments: