Thursday, May 03, 2007

random listy goodness

1. We threw the new computer back at the company who built it. OK, not really. But it's back at the shop and heaven knows when we'll get it back. Luckily, we have my old computer, which was simply replaced for being old and slow. It's back under the desk and humming smugly along.

2. While we were in Troyes, Steph had a haircut (with... um... interesting results) and I walked a few blocks away to the sewing shop for a zipper for my new bag. It was such a beautiful day yesterday and my walk led me through the oldest neighborhood of Troyes, complete with cobblestone streets and labyrinthian lanes, and I was kicking myself for not bringing my camera. My jaw nearly hit the ground when I got to the sewing store and discovered their selection of yarn! I picked up a few skeins for a gift I've been planning for my sister.

3. Speaking of yarn, if you've been following along with my messenger bag project on the Knots blog, you may be interested to know that it's been felted and I'm still waiting for it to dry two days later so I can sew it up. I way over felted it and it's small but still definitely a bag, just of the shoulder-carrying variety now. Meanwhile, I'm in between projects and I'm climbing the walls! I have yarn and needles on order for more gifty projects, and I have a pattern I've ordered that I'm waiting to be delivered to my email, and I have random skeins of yarn that are calling me and I have no idea what to do with them.

4. Did you know that my birthday is in three weeks? I've just put my Amazon wish list back in the sidebar for your convenience (good gracious I'm getting to be a greedy old hag in my old age!).

5. I saw a shooting star last night. Whenever I see one I smile like a loon for ages after. I never saw a shooting star before I moved to France. I always feel like someone's saying "hi" from heaven when I see one. I'm also a sentimental old hag, what can I tell you?

6. Steph went back to work today after a two and half week Spring Break. The first day back to school is always weird after spending 24/7 with him for a while. I also feel like now I can get a bunch of stuff done, because when he's here we end up just goofing around together while the house falls apart. Spring Break is over for both of us, then!

7. I've been in something of a slump in regards to this here blog. I've been living here in France for almost three years and some of the newness has worn off, so some things that really struck me as odd and worthy of sharing back in the beginning has become so common place that I forget that maybe you'd like to hear about it. There are plenty of things about living here that still make me go "huh!" I've just got to remember to write about them. I'm kind of hard on myself, thinking I should be doing all this stuff, and I don't know how much of my lack to do these things is the result of simply trying to get on with life (has it really only been six months since we lost Dad when I was still trying to figure out how to go on without Mom?) or just plain old selfish laziness. I'm still trying to work that out. And make grandiose plans. And then carry them out.

8. Speaking of grandiose plans, remind me someday that I have a story to tell you about the differences between Reaching for the Stars and Doing What's Expected of You. Over the next couple of years, Steph and I are either going to achieve a cool dream or fail spectacularly. One day I'll tell you all about it, I swear.

9. This list is way longer than I expected. Sure is random, though. Reckon I'll go start the End of Spring Break Laundry Festival. Huzzah!

No comments: