Wednesday, October 15, 2008

we have a very stubborn French Fry on our hands...

I guess I was a little nervous about what we would learn in today's checkup because I woke up at 4:00 this morning and never fell back asleep. By 7:00 I was bouncing off the walls so I gave in and took my shower and started my day. Stéph forgot that he had a conference this morning in Troyes so he wasn't able to see the doctor with me, and that also meant that I had some extra time on my hands to run a couple of small errands before and after the appointment. By the time I picked him back up at noon I was starving so we had a guilty pleasure lunch before coming back home. I've just woken up from a two hour nap, which I knew I'd need ever since I realized I wasn't going back to sleep this morning!

All that's well and good but you want to hear about French Fry, don't you? Well, I picked up the scan results just before heading to the appointment so we were able to see what's what. First, the bad news - and it's not that bad, really. French Fry is still very much breech. He's sitting straight up, facing my left, with his feet tucked up in front of him. According to the doctor, if he's going to be breech, this is the best position to be in. However, breech is never as good as head down, so the doctor tried to turn him.

I don't know if you've ever had someone try to turn a baby upside down in your uterus from the outside, but it's not the most pleasant feeling in the world. He told me to stop him if I was in too much pain, but I figured labor wouldn't be a picnic either so I dealt with it while he tried three or four times. Once we both thought we got him turned (we, like I had something to do with it), but a quick peek on the ultrasound found him right where we saw him last. Probably sticking his tongue out at us, too.

Now, here's the good news. It seems I do have birthin' hips after all! The doctor believes that French Fry is not as large as previously believed, as he is way super high and this can skew the measurements a bit. He thinks that we have a strong chance for a breech natural birth with no complications, so we are not scheduling a C section. So, my next appointment is for three weeks from today, the 40th week, if I don't go into labor before then.

So that's it! It's waiting game time and we could literally go at any time. I'm thrilled that we're waiting for things to take their course, even though he's breech. There's always a chance he'll get his act together and turn around, too. Of course, there's not much we can do now but wait. And I hate waiting...

No comments: