Saturday, December 25, 2010

Joyeux Noël !

Merry Christmas everyone! We're having a lovely time in these parts. We could even call it a White Christmas, but only by the skin of our teeth, as we just had a light powdering last night.

Yesterday I had to work in the afternoon, so we all headed out early and I dropped Stéphane and Fry off at Mémère's house on the way to work. Work was uneventful and I picked up our contribution to the big Christmas feast - a huge basket of a variety of French cheese ordered a week before - before ever so slowly driving back to Mémère's house.

Fry didn't quite make it to dinner time so he had a light dinner just before the last family arrived and made it through the apéritif before he finally gave up the ghost and went to sleep. Hopefully next year he'll be able to make it longer to see what all the fuss is about!

If you're curious about the menu, we started with a soupe de champagne, then on to an amazing seafood salad, then lamb and a gratin dauphinois. We took a break to exchange gifts (and digest!) before we finished up with ice cream, a Black Forest cake and another cake baked by my niece.

Funniest moment of the night: my SIL wanted to surprise me by buying something from my Amazon list (that I didn't tell her existed, she just searched for our names) and because she doesn't speak English very well, ended up buying a book I wanted to buy for Stéphane! I don't know if I would have ended up buying it anyway, so it was kind of a gift for me too! (I was really touched that she thought of that, though!)

We had to really take our time coming home on icy roads but we managed to get home in less than an hour. This morning we all slept in until nine o'clock, I made what will now be traditional baked oatmeal for breakfast, and Fry finally got to open some presents and, for the first time, he understood the concept. Very exciting and entertaining to watch!

I have finally received a crock pot - I've been wanting one for years but Stéphane complained that we didn't have anywhere to put it, but since we have the new kitchen, ha ha! - so it's making dinner as we speak (I went traditional for the first meal, so it's pot roast and veggies for everyone!). And we're still digesting from last night. Our cups certainly do overfloweth.

Wishing you all a very happy holiday!!

3 comments:

Forest Green said...

We had pot roast and veggies here, too! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours from Canada!

axelle said...

Happy Holidays to you, enjoy the snow and frost, but don't fall over!!

The Bold Soul said...

You have just reminded me that maybe I really DO want to get a Crock Pot. I always swore I wouldn't do it (not wanting to become my mother and all that) but I am such an indifferent cook, and it would really be nice to have easy recipes and change up our normal weekly meals a bit. Hmmm... will look into this.