Tuesday, January 24, 2006

fermeture définitif


chevaline
Originally uploaded by vivienfrance.
I noticed last week that the Chevaline around the corner from our house has been closed, and then I noticed the red sign on the window, "permanently closed." When I went to buy bread this morning, I took my new toy (which conveniently fits in my bag, bwahaaha!) and snapped a hurried picture. I've found the people in our village to be very nice and friendly, so I don't want to jinx anything by becoming "that foreigner that takes photos of everything." Gotta keep it on the down-low, you know.

So what exactly is a Chevaline, you may ask? Why, it's a horse butcher, of course. I will pass no judgement on the French for their love of eating anything with a pulse - to each their own, I say - but I can tell you that I've been in no hurry to try horse steaks. Luckily, they are not high on Steph's culinary list, either.

But I do have to wonder if the closing of this Chevaline is a sign of things to come. I don't know if any of Steph's colleages or friends like to eat horse, but I can say that the times I've walked by this shop, it has always had an older clientele. I can see only two possible reasons for the closing: the couple who ran it have retired, and have no family members who are interested in continuing the family business, or their sales are so low that they have been forced to close. I do hope it's the former, because no matter what I think of eating horse meat, I do hate to see old traditions die.

No comments: