Thursday, April 24, 2008

good for another nine and a half years

Isn't it funny that when you're gearing for a fight, it never comes? I was so ready to fight tooth and nail for my ten year residence card that when it went so smoothly, it was kind of a let-down.

Tuesday morning I got out the door as early as I could manage and made my way to the Préfecture in Troyes. Parking was a breeze and there were only four people ahead of me. After waiting about fifteen minutes, it was confirmed that my card was ready and I was sent to the cashier's line. Another five minute wait and I had the "stamps" totaling 70€ in my hot little hands and headed back to the other counter to get my card. I waited for the person that had meanwhile taken my place at the counter to finish his business, and then I stepped back up and turned in the stamps. After lots of sticking and stamping, I signed a paper and I got my card. In and out in forty minutes.

But just in case you thought I was going to get away scott-free, I saw the date of expiration. Turns out it took effect from the date I started the request for the card - six months ago. Yep, that means my ten year card is good for nine and a half years. *sigh* Silly bureaucrats...

Of course, next year I'll be eligible to start the process of asking for French nationality, and that's a whole other kettle of fish!

As a side note, I'm going on some adventures tomorrow and I'll be back Sunday. Have a great weekend and I'll tell you all about it when I get back!

No comments: