Monday, April 28, 2008

weekend adventures

This weekend, BFFs Antipo and Ms Mac were reunited and I crashed the party. Well, in my own defense, I was invited...

Friday, I hopped a bus to Troyes where the ladies picked me up and we hit the road further east to bring a trunk-full of food and loud laughter to Doc's house. It was already shaping up to be a gorgeous weekend and after taking Ms Mac on the champagne tour and stuffing our faces, we had a lovely stroll around the village. Doc and I picked up the girls and I had a good snuggle with my goddaughter before we piled back into the car and drove back to the luxury villa known as Chez Antipo.

Saturday was Girls Gone Wild (Paris edition) and started with Antipo, Ms Mac and I jumping on a train to Paris and heading directly to L'Oisive Thé, our dear friend Flare's dream come true / teahouse. For two hours we dined on amazing, creative salads and had some delicious carrot cakes for dessert. Then we went shopping, where I may or may not have bought a couple of things (depending on whether or not Stéph is reading) and then we retired to our evening destination for fish & chips, fruity drinks and singing Summer Lovin' at the top of our lungs. She was there, as were they (as well as this week's special guest!), our favorite teahouse owner joined us and I even got to meet her. Unfortunately, Antipo, Ms Mac and I had to leave relatively early before our train turned into a pumpkin, but a night out like that only comes once in a blue moon and it may be a long, long time before we see anything like it again.

Sunday we managed to crawl out of bed at a decent hour and get our things packed up and out the door in order to go have breakfast at Breakfast in America, where I could satiate my craving for (real) bacon and pancakes. We got there at the perfect time and only had to wait a few minutes for a table. By the time we were ready to leave, the hipsters were lined up down the block waiting for a table and we received not a few dirty looks through the window as we took our sweet time (I'm getting ornery in my old age!). From there we hotfooted it to the train station, where I made my train with ten minutes to spare, after giving Ms Mac and Antipo great big kisses and thanking them for such an amazing weekend.

I discovered that Tiny Town was having a festival as Stéph was driving me home as the main street was blocked off and we had to dodge some barriers in order to get back to our street. This turned out to be very lucky as I was just too tired from my weekend adventures to even contemplate making anything for dinner and there was a kebab truck parked right at the end of our lane. The truck was still there at dinner time as the vendors were packing up and moving on to their next festival. Just as I had taken the food, it started to rain and it hasn't stopped since. That is the perfect metaphor for this weekend - a few days of sunshine in an otherwise dull and gray world. As we all get back into our normal routines, I'm sure we'll be reminiscing about this weekend for a long time to come.

No comments: