Tuesday, April 01, 2008

in which everything that could go wrong did

Stéph's birthday yesterday was kind of a bust. I've had a couple of nights where I haven't slept well and it all came to a head yesterday as I felt like I'd been walking through jello all day. I could not clear the fog in my head no matter what I did.

My plan was to actually have a "Fun with Fruit Part Three," as I was going to make another dessert in honor of Stéph's birthday with some more fresh fruit. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a close enough eye on the fresh raspberries I bought and didn't discover that they had all turned until I took them out of the fridge to start baking. This was at 4:00, an hour before Stéph got off work.

I panicked. I wanted to have something for him when he got home, so I decided to make my old standby - apple pie. Stéph loves my apple pie. So I ran to the store, grabbed some Granny Smith apples and some ready-made pie crusts, and rushed home.

Only to discover that my only pie dish was at my in-laws' house because I brought an apple pie for Easter supper.

At that point, I gave up. I kind of fell apart when Stéph got home, but I did have a present wrapped up for him and he was super gracious about the whole thing. I still owe him an apple pie, which I'll make as soon as I get my pie dish back.

No comments: