Sunday, February 11, 2007

first finish!


first finish!
Originally uploaded by vivi en france.
So since I was waiting for the rest of the yarn for Steph's scarf to arrive, I decided to start a new project, just for me. While in Paris, Flare introduced me to the wonder of Noro Kureyon 100% wool yarn. After buying a couple of skeins, I had to decide what I was going to do with it.

I used to think fingerless gloves were kind of silly, but now that we have to keep our heat at a reasonable setting because it's so expensive, my hands are often too cold to type. Now that I'd found something practical to make with my new yarn, Flare and I set out to find a pattern that was debutante-accessible. These super quick knits were done flat, with about 2.5 inches of ribbing, followed by 2.5 inches of stockinette and finally about a half inch of ribbing at the top. I had hoped to use up one skein for these, but I ended up having lots left over; if I'd known, I would have happily made the sleeves a bit longer. Oh, well, I'll know for next time.

In order to tie all the colors in the gloves together, my next project will be to make a scarf with the same yarn (that's why I ran back to Bon Marché on Friday - to get more Noro!). After flipping through Flare's knitting library, I settled on the Misty Garden pattern by Jo Sharp. That yarn, plus the yarn I'd ordered to finish Steph's scarf, are all coming with me to the States and hopefully they'll be finished by the time I get back.

No comments: