Monday, March 10, 2008

menu plan monday - week 4

Photobucket

I have to say, I'm quite pleased with myself that I've managed to keep this up for four weeks in a row. It's been great to go through the other posts and get ideas. This week is relatively easy, since I'm planning on going out of town this weekend and Stéph will be joining me on Sunday. I'm planning to make a nice big dish he can eat while I'm gone, which was his request. Other than that, nothing too taxing or new recipes - well, new to me, anyway!

Notes: Breakfasts for Stéph are waffles, for me they are a bowl of cereal with milk and a cup of coffee or tea. Each lunch includes a piece of bread (bought fresh everyday) with cheese and a glass of 100% juice with no sugar added. Snacks will include seasonal fruits, carrots, cornichons (small pickles) and cheese and bread for Stéph. My "dessert" is a plain yogurt, cereal biscuits and a glass of 100% juice with no sugar added.

Monday
Lunch
chili, rice, carrots
Dinner chef salad

Tuesday
Lunch
chili (leftovers), rice, carrots
Dinner chicken & onions, steamed green beans

Wednesday
Lunch
Carbonara (see below), salad
Dinner steak hachée, steamed green beans

Thursday
Lunch
Mom's meatloaf, couscous, veggies (to be determined)
Dinner pasta, Dad's ragu sauce (from the freezer) (hey, it's Mom & Dad day!)

Friday
Lunch
meatloaf (leftovers), couscous, veggies
Dinner (Vivi gone) hachis parmentier (see below)

Saturday
Lunch
(Vivi gone) Stéph fends for himself!
Dinner (Vivi gone) hachis parmentier (leftovers)

Sunday
Lunch
Vivi & Stéph have left the building!
Dinner soup & tuna sandwiches

Recipe for carbonara: This is a super simple and easy French version of the Italian dish that Doc gave me shortly after I moved here. In a large skillet, cook 200 grams of lardons (small pieces of bacon). Drain and add a carton of crème fraîche (sour cream). When this mixture reaches your preferred consistency, pour over cooked pasta. Serve with shredded gruyère (or your preferred cheese topping).

Recipe for hachis parmentier: This recipe greatly resembles shepherd's pie but for the love of all things holy, never tell a Frenchman that! Brown a pound of ground beef (or a combination of beef and pork) with a chopped onion, herbs de provence, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a large casserole dish. Cover meat with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle top with shredded gruyère or emmental cheese. Bake until the cheese is melty and golden.

For more menu ideas, check out I'm an Organizing Junkie!

No comments: