Monday, March 31, 2008

menu plan monday - week 6

Photobucket

Man, am I whooped! We had the Daylight Saving "Spring Forward" this weekend and I am really feeling it today. It took me a whopping hour and a half just to come up with a menu for this week. It's ridiculous how much difference an hour can make!

In other news, if you haven't stopped by since last Monday, I totally messed up the date for Stéph's birthday. Actually, it's not that I don't know the date, but I counted on my fingers instead of actually looking at a calendar and totally missed. So today is actually his birthday! Be sure to stop by again later for a special birthday post.

Without further ado, here's this week's list (which finally is a steak hachée free week! Yes!!). Thanks as always to Laura for hosting every week.

Monday - Happy Birthday Stéph! (for real this time)
Lunch
leftover knacki pasta (see last week's MPM for the recipe)
Dinner Chef salad (bumped from last night)

Tuesday
Lunch
Couscous and merguez (see below for more info)
Dinner turkey & onions, veg (veg will either be carrots, green beans or salad, whichever I feel like making at the time!)

Wednesday
Lunch
Penne arrabiata (new recipe for me)
Dinner cheddar veggie omelette

Thursday
Lunch
minced meat bricks (see below for more info)
Dinner Italian breaded pork chops, veg

Friday
Lunch
tater tot casserole (based on this recipe)
Dinner Free night (leftovers, pull from freezer or eat out)

Saturday
Lunch
tater tot casserole (leftovers)
Dinner chicken & onions (see the bottom of this post for recipe)

Sunday
Lunch
salmon, potato pancakes (recipe from one of the magazines that Mia sent me)
Dinner chicken salad sandwiches

Couscous and merguez
This is a North African dish that is very popular in France. Here, couscous isn't just the semoule, like it is in the States. It is also a spicy sauce with veggies and chickpeas. My version comes from this recipe. You only need a couple of soup ladles for each meal so you can freeze a lot for future meals. I made a fresh batch two weeks ago and put six future meals in the freezer. I serve it over couscous and with merguez.

Minced meat bricks
This is a recipe I just sort of made up. Bricks are are very thin, unsweet pastry that comes in large round sheets of ten. (I can't actually find a link for this, you'll have to take my word for it!) Typically, food is rolled up in them and they become crispy when baked or fried. I make a mixture of ground beef, mashed potato and parsley, put a heaping spoonful in each brick, fold them up, brush on a little olive oil and bake until golden. It's not the healthiest meal in the world, but I haven't made these in ages and I kind of have a hankering for them!

No comments: