Tuesday, July 08, 2008

having the angels cleared out

I had been putting off calling Tiny Town's garage for weeks. This is bad because the weather had really started heating up and we desperately needed to have the air conditioning recharged. It's not that I was afraid to speak French on the phone - I still hate making phone calls as much as I did when I was younger but I feel comfortable enough with my French on the phone in most cases that this doesn't stop me anymore - but the problem was that I kept forgetting how to ask for an oil change and then I kept forgetting to ask Stéph to remind me (everything they tell you about pregnancy brain is TRUE).

Finally, I remembered to ask Stéph as we were going to bed one night last week. "You have to remember that we're having the angels cleaned out of the car - vide-ange**," he said.

This is largely how I've learned French, but I'll tell you, it works. I don't think I'll ever forget what vidange means!

**"vide" means empty and "ange" means angel

No comments: