Tuesday, June 23, 2009

paris makes me sick

I'm not kidding, every time I go to Paris, even overnight, I come back with some kind of sinus flareup or sore throat. After walking up the "bloody hill" to Katia's house, I had the wheeze of a two pack a day smoker and by the time I got home I had a lovely knot in my throat.

But hey, we get over being sick, right? It's been ages since I've been on the Katia and Kylie Mac show, and you can hear me make a fool of myself on episode 249 (and episode 250, which should be out later this week!).

Sunday, Kylie Mac and I went to the Château de Vincennes, a castle that dates back to the 12th century and is just on the border of Paris. We'd been planning this visit for a couple of weeks, and neither one of us had been there before, so we were pretty excited.

Except that the damned château was closed until the exact hour that I was meant to get on a train back home.

In our defense, there was no prior warning at all. Sunday just happened to be La Fête de la Musique, and since there was a concert in the château, it was decided to close it to the public until the concert started in the afternoon. We were not the only ones caught out; there were several folks with great big cameras that were turned away as well.

The good news is that we got some great pictures just by walking around the château. It's so crazy to me that it's surrounded by regular streets and apartment buildings, as if it were just placed in the middle of the neighborhood like a park or a skyscraper. "...and here's where we'll place our 12th century château..." hmph.

chateau de vincennes

I'll never get used to this. And to think, this will be normal for Fry! You can click on the photo to be whisked away to my flickr feed to see the rest of the pictures.

3 comments:

JChevais said...

I know what you mean about "normal" to our kids. My brain has a hard time with that as well.

Unknown said...

Surfed in via BlogHer. What a great blog you have...and such an adventure you're on!

About the "normal" to our kids...I am a city girl who moved to the country and married a farmer. My daughter will find this life "normal", while I'm still trying to get used to living on a farm and in a small rural community.

Brilliant Sulk said...

Oooh. I wish I had the OPTION of going to Paris overnight and getting sick. Lucky girl.