Friday, October 01, 2004

One Month Gone

It was quite warm today (yes, after the last couple of weeks 70°F seems very warm actually) and it was a nice afternoon to do a little site seeing. There's a museum I pass as I walk to my babysitting gig just across from the cathedral that I've had my eye on, so we strolled over to the Musee St. Loup. Formerly the Abbey to the Cathedral, it has a varied permanent collection, including stuffed animals of the region (who looked pretty pissed at being put up for display), archaeology of the region (located in the cellar; not a place I'd like to spend just before closing), and fine arts, including sculpture and paintings from the renaissance up to around the 18th century.

The temporary exhibition featured artifacts found dating to the Gallo-romanic period, that were all found in Troyes. This town was founded around 2000 years ago, and as I've mentioned before, chances are a construction team is bound to dig up something of historical importance, and if I understood the exhibit well, the items on display were found around 20 years ago near the middle of town. It some interesting stuff, and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

It's hard to believe I've been here for a month already! I'm trying very hard to be patient with myself regarding improving my french, but I think I've improved a bit. Plus it's really nice to walk through the town and marvel: "I get to live here!" Now what I'd really like to do is figure out how to use Stéph's digital camera so I can take a few pics around town and show you what I mean. So that will be my mission for October.

Thank you all for sharing this with me; not just my friends and family back home, but my fellow ex-pats and curious passers-by. Bisous for everyone!

No comments: