Wednesday, May 17, 2006

i do not think it means what you think it means

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Just because a word looks the same in French and in English, doesn't mean it means the same.

Last time I went to choir rehearsal, I was told that there would be an audition on Tuesday, May 16, in the hall in Troyes where we often give concerts to the public. so I'm thinking

1. It's nearing the end of the school year, so we're having auditions for the next school year.
2. It's being held in the hall so it can accomadate all the people for the four different choirs, from little kiddies to adults.


So imagine my shock when I arrived at the hall last night, five minutes before the audition was the begin, and there is an audience and all the choirs and the director are on stage taking directions.

It was then that I learned that in French, an audition is a small informal concert open to the general public. Ha HA!

Luckily, I had all the apporpriate music, I had worn something presentable (thank GOD it was casual!) and everyone had a good laugh about the whole thing. Though I have to say that I'm pleased that in two years, this is the first time I've had to cop the "I didn't understand, I'm a silly foreigner!" defense. I'm sure it won't be the last!

No comments: