Saturday, March 04, 2006

throw your plans in the air, part 2

My mother-in-law called and told us to switch to the news on France 3. They had a blurb at the top of the news about passports and going to the States.

Turns out they've changed it a bit, and the new acceptable passports will be available to apply for in April, instead of October. That means Steph and I can go together this summer, after all.

I promptly burst into tears.

I didn't mean to, honestly. I've been in what I can only assume is a hormonal-lack-of-sleep funk all day, and have been ready to burst into tears at any given moment all day.

Of course this means that we can't go together at Easter, we had agreed it couldn't be done together at that time anyway, since his spring break doesn't start until the day before, and who wants to go back to work jetlagged anyway? But this was my best chance for Optimal Family Visitation, since many uncles, aunts and cousins are gathering for the holiday. Plus, the church my family attends does Easter in a big way. With brass instruments and everything. I don't know when I would have gotten to see that again.

So I stood there, hearing the brass quintet playing "All People That On Earth Do Dwell" fading into the background, sobbing but desperately trying to stop, knowing that it is too selfish to go alone when I know my husband wants to go too and explaining that it's really ok and we'll go this summer and That's All.

Then Steph said I should wait and see if the prices drop just before Easter and if they do then grab a good price and go anyway. I said that it's a silly waste of money to go twice in the same year. Then he said it was my birthday present, one month early.

And he insisted.

I don't know if I'm really gonna do it, but I am going to keep an eye on my favorite airfare websites. But I do know that I don't deserve this guy.

No comments: