Wednesday, September 06, 2006

country livin'

Do you know what's worse than being stuck behind a tractor on a national road going 20 mph?

I'd say it's being stuck behind a tractor-trailer filled with pigs for 20 kilometers.

Ugh.

Since we hadn't heard anything from the Mairie about my new carte de sejour (and why would we? They didn't take our phone number), we stopped by after the doctor's appointment this morning. Steph thought it was odd that we didn't have to pay for a new stamp (which is actually a tax represented by a stamp), so we double checked with the clerk who took my info before and she double checked her records and sure enough, it didn't say anything about a stamp or a tax. I was concerned because the last two times we applied for the carte I was given a large blue card with all my info on it which served as proof that I was in the process of requesting a new one. Since the old one expired on Saturday, I was worried about not having anything to prove I was allowed to be here, but Steph assured me that as long as the paperwork has been turned in, I was alright. Since we've always done our paperwork directly at the Préfecture before, I have no idea how long it will take to get the new card. Patience still isn't my middle name so I'm just trying to go with the flow and not panic about not having it.

Meanwhile, it looks like we're stuck with this heatwave for a couple more days. I'm going to go plant myself in front of the fan for the rest of the afternoon. Hope everyone is staying cool!

No comments: