Saturday, March 17, 2007

knitting freak

Seriously, though. I'm knitting like a madwoman. I'm actually scheduling my day around taking time to knit, and I'm spending time thinking of things I can do while I'm knitting. Don't worry, I'm sure it's Newbie Obsession and it will calm down. Eventually.

I wanted to show you my latest finishes. I was thinking about picking out a day of the week to do a WIP (work in progress) post, but what do y'all think? Would that bore you to tears? Anyway, here's what I've got:

Steph's scarf
This is the first project I started! I finally got it done a couple of days after I got back, and passed it over to Steph. He immediately threw it around his neck and wore it for the rest of the evening. The wacky part was when he was reading in bed - he was still wearing it! I asked him what was up, and he said, "You made it for me and I'm going to wear it!" And he did - all night long. And then he wore it the next night, too! He says it's going to be his inside scarf. I'm telling myself that it's because it's so super soft that he wants to relax with it, and not because he doesn't want to be seen in it (it is, after all, my first project - not exactly perfectly gorgeous up close).

dishcloths
Ballband dishcloths! These were actually really fun to make, and they're super quick to do. The colors are probably not ones I would have picked out myself, but they were gifted to me, and I hope the person who gifted me doesn't mind knowing that I'm probably going to gift them to someone else! I'm thinking about giving them to my mother-in-law as a belated birthday present, because she has a reputation for being a fanatical cleaner. These will certainly brighten up her kitchen, and if she doesn't want to get them dirty, I can even see her using them to set hot dishes on.

Meanwhile, I've just started working on a scarf with the gorgeous soft wool I brought back from the States. My father-in-law's birthday is also in March, so I'm thinking that if I can knock this one out a little quick, I can present them both at the end of the month (hopefully I'll have a little leeway, since both gifts are handmade!). This scarf is going to be really nice, I think, with a basketweave pattern, but I just realized that it begins and ends with six rows of seed stitch. Here's a question for you knitters ('cause if you've read this far, you must be one) - do you think a seed stitch is going to look too feminine on a man's scarf?

No comments: