Friday, April 20, 2007

one down, one to go

The first week of Spring Break is almost over, and we've spent it like we usually spend the first week of vacation - resting. That's to say, Steph has been resting; not much has changed for me.

Monday, Steph finally went to the doctor for his coughing and was burdened with three different medicines. Pretty powerful ones, I might add. All was well until Steph started hiccuping at bedtime. He did his usual remedy for hiccups, which is to squeeze lemon juice on a sugar cube and suck on it. I don't know how it works, but it does for him.

On Tuesday, we went to a friend's for lunch and spent most of the day there. It was one of those wonderful lazy afternoons where you start chatting as soon as you arrive and you don't quite make it to the dinner table until 3:00 and at 7:00 you're wondering where the day went. I have to admit, however, that seven hours of French non-stop has me seeing stars at the end, but I digress: everything was fine until Steph started hiccuping again. And again. And again. I lost count of how many times he succumbed to a fit of hiccups, but they seemed to start up again about every hour or so. Finally, after we'd come home and were getting ready to bed, I wondered out loud if it was possible that the medicine was causing them? We grabbed each medicine's info sheets and there it was, plain as day. The next morning, Steph called the doctor, who told him to stop taking the offending pills, even though he only had one more day left on it, and warned him that the hiccups could last a couple more days before they disappeared. Poor man, I know how I feel after an hour of hiccups; I can't imagine how he's feeling after three days of them.

Wednesday was also Running Errands That We've Put Off Until Spring Break day. We left for Troyes first thing in the morning, had lunch with the in-laws, ran some more errands and came home beat. The best errand was for me - we ordered my new computer, which will be ready sometime next week. My birthday's coming a month early this year, woohoo!

Otherwise, it's been lovely and quiet. I've been knitting as usual, and have posted about what I'm working on here. The weather has cooled off a little to normal Spring-like temps, inviting us outside more and more, so we'll be taking some walks and going out to do a little sightseeing next week. Plus, Sunday is the first round of the Presidential Election. I'll have more for you on that next time.

No comments: