Thursday, January 06, 2005

if i see one more galette de roi...



...I'm sure I will be sick. I'm sure I've eaten the equivilent of two whole galettes over the course of the last week.

Galettes de roi (King cakes) are traditionally eaten on Epiphany, which falls on January 6. The cake is cut up and everyone receives a slice. Whoever finds the fève (favor) baked inside is the king/queen and gets to wear the paper crown (think old-school Burger King crowns for the full effect). It's a flaky, sweet cake, and comes is a variety of styles including filled with creme or fruit, but usually just plain flaky sweet goodness.

We bought one Saturday from the boulangerie (which was amazingly open all New Year's Day) so Squishy could participate in this ritual - woo! she won! Then we went to my in-laws' on Sunday for coffee and had another one (where my two youngest nieces joined in - one of them would take a slice, open it up, find it empty, and try to exchange it). Monday night found me at choir rehearsal and toasting in the New Year with another one. Yesterday we picked one up at the grocery since they were already on sale. Steph and I had a piece for a snack. Then I went to practice some music at the home of another choir member and we had yet another one (I finally won a favor last night). By the time I was finishing up that slice I was practically choking on it. I know fully understand the phrase "too much of a good thing."

Speaking of food, however, I do need to mention and publicly thank Squishy for all the American junk food she brought me! This week I've been gorging on peanut butter, Velveeta shells & cheese, and POPCORN (oooh how I missed your sweet buttery kernels!). She even brought me peanut m&m's, which was so thoughtful, even though we have them here. She even remembered my wish for a green bean casserole for Thanksgiving and brought me some fried onions and cream of mushroom soup (reckon they'll keep for November? No? Guess I'll have to make that soon! bwahahahahha).

No comments: