Friday, January 21, 2005

vivi and squishy do pere lachaise, part deux

We were five minutes too late. We were locked in.

Squishy and I looked at each other. Then we looked over the wall. Nope, too far to jump. Huh.

We tried to hightail it to the next entrance. After walking for two days, this was getting to be something of a painful task. Poor Squishy was limping mightily. As for me, I was Not. Going. To Panic. We followed the outside wall of the cemetary to get to the next entrance (which I believe is the main entrance; the one you see when you click here). That gate was firmly closed too. The guard was probably half way home.

Hoo boy.

Squishy stopped to look at the map. I walked up the avenue.

"Where are you going?" she called.

"I see cars parked! Surely they can't stay overnight!"

We wobbled up the avenue to the next intersection. Cars were parked all along this road. Off to the right, a guard was yelling out at somebody. It looked suspiciously like cars leaving. We hobbled in that direction.

There was a gate, still open. FREEDOM!

As we walked by the guard, I said, "Desole!"

"Pourquoi?" he asked.

"On est en tard!" I replied.

He looked at his watch. "C'est pas mauvais," he answered.

I looked at my watch as we sailed out the exit. Don't ask me how, but we managed to get to this entrance in less than three minutes.

No comments: