Wednesday, January 26, 2005

maybe it's time for plan b

Last week I was turned down for a(nother) job teaching English, as I have no teaching experience. This bothered me mostly because of the age-old saying, "how can I get experience without a job?" I mean, I'm half-way there, being fluent in the language and all.

So, we've had to do a little reevaluating around here. Clearly the biggest stumbling block right now is not being anywhere near proficient in French. The government offers free French courses for immigrants, but those who have completed a university-level degree do not qualify. I guess the thinking here is, well you managed to get through college, surely a pesky little language shouldn't be too difficult. We're not suffering living on one salary, but you may have noticed that we're not traveling or going out like we did five months ago, and the expense of French courses just aren't in the budget right now. When it comes to learning French, I've just been winging it.

Click "Tell me more" to continue.



Don't get me wrong. The best thing I've done is join not one but two choirs. This forces me to use French, and the job I was turned down for last week? It was a tip from someone in one of the choirs. They are marvelous for networking.

Steph has been half-joking about my looking for work in Paris, and commuting on the train, which is not at all unheard of around here. As exciting as that sounds, I can't help but feel that surely Anglephones in Paris are a dime a dozen, aren't they? Even if we do decide to go down that path, my French needs quite a boost first.

In the meantime, it's back to my CE2 (for 8-9 year olds) French grammar books to practice my French...




I forgot to mention in my non-post yesterday that more photos have been added to the photoblog. Also, the cool audience participation thingie? Plans are moving along between me and my blogger-in-crime. Watch this space!

No comments: