Friday, February 11, 2005

The Book of Questions

This is my response to a simul-blog, created by Gary at matching tracksuits. You can see his original post here

Question 120: Would you accept $10,000 to shave your head and continue your normal activities sans hat or wig without explaining the reason for your haircut?

Luckily, we're starting off with something pretty simple. The funny thing is, I actually shaved off half my hair when I was in high school - that'll be the half below the ears, thanks - so I don't see why doing the rest would be so difficult. Especially since 10,000 would certainly go a long way. Well, maybe not so far in Euros as it would in dollars, but I think you get what I mean.

But then again, high school was a long time ago. And not telling anyone? Surely I'd have to explain to my husband where the moolah came from. Couldn't I tell him, and he could explain why I've done it, if it comes up? (IF? Who am I kidding?) Plus, I'm sure I'd need his help, to make sure everything was chopped off. 'Cause, it's one thing to shave your head, and it's another to look like a rabid dog.

Then again, it might be nice to shave off my hair and start over. It sure would be interesting to see what color is really is. Plus, it's supposed to grow back really nice and thick after its all shaved off, right? So that would be good. So eventually, I'd have gorgeous thick hair and 10,000 in the bank. That sounds pretty good to me!

Man, this question is much more complex than I thought. Plus, I don't think it's fair that men would have a much easier time shaving their heads without much comment.

OK, when it comes right down to it, this is basically a fair trade. The cost does not involve harming another person, or myself - unless you count pride, of course. And that's what it comes down to, doesn't it? So, I think I could live with the humiliation of going bald for a few months, in exchange for what amounts to be close to a down payment on a house here. I could just hide in my new house until my hair grows back. And since that's what I'm almost doing anyway as a newly minted ex-pat, I think I'm ok with that.

No comments: