Thursday, February 24, 2005

my brain is full

Today was one of those rare busy days in which I'm so happy to come home and hear nothing but silence! Seems like in my former life I always had some kind of white noise going on the background (usually the tv) but today I had French Overload.

I had class this morning at 10:00. It was just me, the teacher, and a young woman from Iran whom I hadn't met before. Since there were only three of us, we had the opportunity to just have a small conversation for a little while before we dove into work. The bulk of today's class was spent on the grammar of pronouns (celui, celle-la, etc) which nearly went straight over my head. I've got a lot of work to do in this area. The teacher won't be in class next week, but I've got plenty of homework to keep me busy. I love how these two hour classes just seem to fly by!

I came home and had time to eat lunch and do some sparse cleaning (my routine is all out of whack and I'm really behind) before I headed out to pick up the kids from school. Tuesday they were nightmarish all the way home; at the time I was so glad that Monday will be my last day to babysit. Happily they were much better today. Then at 6:30 their father came home, giving me just enough time to hoof it over to the Conservatory for choir rehearsal. We're having a small concert in a couple of weeks, so I had to concentrate really hard to be sure I understood all the extra rehearsal times. The end of the day is the hardest time for me to get into French conversation, and by 8:30 I was hungry and my brain was fading.

Before my brain shuts completely down for the night, I'd like to send a shout out to Mizz Mary-Lynn, who made me an offer I couldn't refuse recently. She came to France for 10 days on vacation, and to make room in her suitcase for all her goodies, very kindly sent me her books and trashy magazines that she read on the way over and while she was here. Oooh, trashy magazines! It's been ages! Thank you so much Mary-Lynn, and I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in Paris!

No comments: