Friday, March 25, 2005

in between worlds

I must be approaching another plateau, as I can't explain this feeling of restlessness that has been hounding me all week. I need to get up and get out of this apartment more often than I have been, but the weather hasn't been cooperating lately and frankly, there aren't that many places to go. There's only so many times I can walk back and forth across town and I've never been much of a window shopper, which just depresses the hell out of me. I've got plenty of things to keep me busy around here, but there are only so many French exercises I can do before I want to snap the pencil in half and the English books have come in but I'm not exactly sure where to start.

I miss my job. This is fairly ridiculous, as even my manager, who I liked very much, once confided in me that my job was a waste of my brainpower and if it weren't for the fact that I was moving to France, he told me, I should look into going into another line of work. Maybe I stuck it out for so long there because it was easy. Now I'm having conflicting thoughts about becoming an English teacher/tutor/whatever. The idea of helping someone improve their English is very appealing, but is it really for me?

I'd love to be a tour guide for the loads of English tourists that visit Troyes every year, but someone once told me that I'd have to be fluent in three languages, and the pay sucks (but it's better than nothing, which is what I'm currently earning). This is not necessarily a deterrant but I'm not sure where to go to find out if this is the case. I'd have to wait until I'm fluent in French anyhow. I'd love to find a job where I can sit in a corner and process data entry reports all day. Hell, I'll do data entry from home, but people, I gotta start doing something very soon or I am really going to lose my mind.

No comments: