Wednesday, March 02, 2005

ya learn something new everyday

Steph heard from a friend online that it is snowing south of Paris. I went to look out the window to see if it's coming this way, but for now all is blue skies with a few clouds out to the west. While looking out the window, I noticed something I hadn't before.

"What's that?" I pointed.

"What?"

"The thing! The... round thing. The tube thing at the top of the window, what is that?"

After pointing and jumping up and down a bit, he finally figured out what I was pointing at.

Turns out it's a small opening for ventilation. I knew there was a small one in the kitchen but I'd honestly never noticed this one before. Apparently, all homes in France are required to have at least two, to keep fresh air circulating through the house. I'd love to say, "Aha! No wonder it's so cold in here!" but the truth is, you don't even feel a draft. It makes sense, in the end, but I'd never thought about it, coming from the Land of Air Conditioning and all.

GISBE Update
Looks like we've got a couple more happy recipients in Gale and Nancy. This is so exciting! My box has been delivered to the post office and should arrive somewhere in the American North East (how's that for a hint?) in about 10 days or so. Please keep Tracey and I updated. Wheee, this is like watching everyone open Christmas gifts, but on an international scale!

No comments: